Bringing Home a Pet During the Pandemic: Tips and Resources -
by Aurora James dogetiquette.info
Now is as good a time as any to add a furry family member to your household. Most people are spending more time at home due to the coronavirus pandemic, and nothing can add joy and love to your daily routine quite like adopting a pet. Nonetheless, in order to be a good owner and get the most out of your experience, it’s important to prepare. Slick Pet is happy to offer the following tips and resources to consider as you get ready for the arrival of your new companion:
Pick the Pet Wisely
First of all, you want to make sure you are thinking about what kind of pet will work best for your household.
- Leaning toward getting a dog? Make sure you consider your lifestyle and living situation when determining what breed to get.
- The same logic applies to those who are looking for a cat.
- Don’t limit your selection to just a dog or cat. There are tons of other types of animals that could use a loving home (e.g., birds, hamsters, rabbits, etc.).
Understand What Kind of Care is Involved
Pets come with responsibility, and it’s important to know what you’re getting into when it comes to their care needs.
- Regular vet visits are essential for your pet to thrive.
- Many pet owners find it beneficial to start an emergency fund for unexpected vet visits. If you don’t have a fund and need help paying an emergency bill, however, there are other options, such as using Care Credit or a personal loan.
- Opt for quality, low-ingredient pet food you can find for your pet, whether it’s wet or dry.
- It’s also essential to feed your pet the right amount of food to ward off obesity or underfeeding.
- Knowing how to administer medication is another essential part of being a good pet owner.
- If you have children, take time to prepare them for the responsibilities of pet ownership. Of course, you need to make sure they’re ready for one first.
Know What Supplies to Get
In order to take care of your pet, you will also need to invest in certain supplies.
- Toys are a big deal and a great way to show your pet affection. Keep up to date with all the top toys on the market.
- There are also several different kinds of pet-friendly cleaning supplies that you will want to have on hand for keeping a clean and healthy home.
- It’s important to keep in mind that a new pet, especially one from a shelter, is liable to have accidents. Patience is crucial here. Along with cleaning supplies, set aside a budget in case you ever need to outsource furniture or floor cleaning.
- And of course, you will want to get a quality leash, collar, and/or harness so that you can safely walk and play with your pet outdoors.
Choose a Trust Sitter/Walker
Lastly, if you ever need to leave your pet with a sitter or walker, you want to make sure you can trust that your pet is being well taken care of.
- Research different pet sitters (individuals and companies) to make sure anyone you’re considering is qualified and reliable.
- The same logic applies when looking for a dog walker.
- And be sure to prepare your home and leave the sitter/walker with important information before you leave.
Not only can having a pet in your life help to reduce loneliness, but it can significantly improve your overall life, and best of all, you’ll be giving a pet a forever home. Consider the tips and resources listed here as you prepare to bring your pet home. With thoughtful choices, you’ll never regret it!
Ready to give your pet the best life ever? Turn to Slick Pet for all your pet needs, from comfy beds to super-fun toys to grooming tools.